Last Updated: 2020-09-27
TODO Entries Remaining to be Added Here: ~29
Since I find my ideas for fanfiction review posts multiplying faster than my time to re-read and review things, I thought it only fair to make my TODO list public so that, if you don’t need a full review, you can still find the stories I wanted to introduce you to.
- This list is still under construction (Even as raw as these list entries are, I still want to do things like looking up author names and hyperlinks and doing other cleanup like that… and that takes time.)
- Some of these may not be as good as I remember or may even be misfiled… that’s why they are TODO list entries. Proper reviews involve me re-reading the fics to weed out things that seemed much better when I was young and stupid.
- In the interest of consistency, I’ve chosen to use western naming order for all mentions of character names.
- If I haven’t confirmed that my memory of an entry is accurate enough to place it in the category I assigned it to, I’ll end it with a question mark.
- A “…?” in a list means that I get a vague sense there are more fics that should be on the list which I’ve read but can’t remember. (Feel free to try to jog my memory)
- There are a few cases where where the version in my private bin has an unfinished review hanging off it because I didn’t feel confident enough that I was remembering the right fic and not combining elements from multiple stories.
That said, enjoy a preview of what I eventually want to blog about, a slightly cleaned up version of what my notes look like before I sit down to re-read things, and a peek into how big a bottleneck the process of re-reading and reviewing things in detail is. 🙂
- Update my Anime Addventure links to point to http://addventure.cf/ 
- Look through the rest of the Evangelion fics I’ve read for good/memorable stuff that isn’t either already reviewed or on this list.
- Once I’ve migrated off WordPress to something where the data is easier to consume locally, write a cross-comparison tool which lists all fics I rated highly in my private database but haven’t blogged about.
- Go back and find some good Tenchi Muyo fics to share.
- I remember there being at least one Wreck-It Ralph fic I wanted to share.
- Decide how to surface the list of examples in Another Tangent: Degrees of Connectedness more formally.
- Maybe mention on my Harry Potter and the Curse’s Cure review that my mind lumps it together with Harry Potter and the Price of Being Noble and vice-versa? Also, I think Curse’s Cure and Effects and Side Effects have some elements in common which I might want to draw attention to. (I think I’m going to need to redesign my blog to focus as much on cross-referencing commonalities as writing reviews.)
- Consider re-reviewing stuff I reviewed in the first years of this blog, like newRanma and Ill Met By Starlight. I’m much more perceptive now.
- Curious George by Catrlgirl (Hellsing story centering on a great OC. I actually managed to avert a Timless Child-style shark-jump with some advice I gave while this fic was being written.)
- Dungeon Keeper Ami by Pusakuronu (Sailor Moon crossover where Ami winds up alone in the Dungeon Keeper setting, tricked into being a Dungeon Keeper, and has to fight to “do good using evil power” while trying to win her soul back. Highly recommended.)
- Morality Chain by Pureauthor (An Avatar: The Last Airbender “What if…?” built around Zuko and Azula having a more normal, caring relationship.)
Additions for Existing List Posts
- Godchild by Ikarus Onesun (Shinji has to be recovered from 400% sync by cloning a hybrid body like Rei’s. Recommended “More-Than-Human Shinji” Evangelion fics as a runner-up, since the “more” is so subdued.)
- Recommended Battlestar Galactica “Earth-contact” fics
- A Chance Meeting by dunuelos (BSG-Babylon 5 crossover. If Contact at Kobol deserves a place despite its need for proofreading, then this deserves a place because, when it is good, it’s good in unique ways.)
- Faoi Dheireadh by batsojopo (Not good enough for the recommended list, but maybe a cross-reference once I have time to clean up and post my review draft with a 3.7 out of 5 rating.)
- The Aftermath: The End by fmfan1980 (Starts with an exposition dump, but that does mean it’s possible to read it without reading the previous story in the series first.)
- Who Are You by David Falkayn (Empty cylon body in a stasis tube is found by a Terran Empire patrol and raised as a human with total amnesia. Has flaws that make it a runner-up at best… or maybe just a cross-reference once I review it.)
- Recommended “Politics in Harry Potter” fics
- A Boon for Bill by canoncansodoff (I think. Need to re-read it.)
- Check if A Marauder’s Plan by CatsAreCool is one of these.
- Harry Potter and the Deus Ex Machina by Karmic Acumen (While not having that “politics are central for most of the span of the story” feeling I’m going for in this list, the story still might deserve a mention for a very satisfying courtroom scene with Sirius before jumping back in time to show the politicking, and I like the author’s skill overall… especially that knack for the satisfying powerful yet impromptu-feeling speeches that turn up in places like the courtroom and Black family confrontations.)
- The Accidental Animagus by White Squirrel (Wizengamot and trial scenes aren’t the prime focus but, once they start happening, they’re good when they come up and it also goes into more detail than usual on how Lucius Malfoy engages in his political scheming (for example, pointing out oddities in what’s known about Harry Potter’s past to Rita Skeeter and providing her financial support to pursue them), so this deserves to be an honourable mention.)
- Sekirei Fics Which Fight/Fix Canon
- In Flight Gaiden: Playing with Tropes by Satire Swift (A spin-off of In Flight that began its life as a series of omake. Shirou meets an alternate version of himself who, instead of having Sword-oriented powers, has Trope-oriented powers. Very silly at times but, at the same time, the first story I’ve read which, during its serious moments, touches on the idea of less ethical magi discovering the Sekirei and and forcing Shirou into revealing magic to Takami. Definitely worth a read.)
- Re-identify that Harry Potter-Sekirei fic where the original Sekirei ships are the distant ancestors of Veela and check if it belongs on my list.
- Strained Harmony by Sunshine Temple may be a runner-up candidate for Recommended “Voluntary Fukufics”. I’ll need to re-read it to check.
- While it’s not a perfect match by any means, being contemporary and differently focused, Cold Blood by DerLaCroix reminds me of my Recommended “Sci-Fi Discovers Harry Potter” fics list. It’s slow to start and very flawed, but once Hermione’s godmother finally gets introduced as a character, I remember some satisfying scientific exploration of Harry turning into a half-dragon, including world-building about how it’s actually occurring from a biological standpoint. (Though, given how much of a mixed bag it is, I should probably write a full review and then link to it from the list as a minimal note at the bottom.)
- CAUTION: This is one of those “haven’t read it in years” things, so the “it gets better” part may just be rose-coloured glasses.
Alternative Do-Over Protagonists
- Maybe A Game of Chess by Kirinin (Ron Weasley)
- I think I’m hazy on this because most of it is still unread new chapter notification in my inbox from when my interest in fanfiction temporarily crashed.
- Amalgum – Lockhart’s Folly by tkepner (Harry Potter merged into Gilderoy Lockhart)
- Also mention Magical Me by Publicola (a Gilderoy Lockhart self-insert)
- Maybe A Switched Chance by LunaStorm (Harry Potter and Hermione Granger in each other’s bodies)
- Maybe Second Chance by Newbie1104 (Not exactly a do-over, being Shirou Emiya in Harry Potter’s body, but close enough in feel to possibly be an honorable mention.)
- The Red Knight by Demon Eyes Laharl (Ron Weasley)
- Time Braid by ShaperV (Sakura Haruno in a Groundhog Day scenario that gets very complex with multiple people looping independently.)
- Yesterday is Tomorrow (Everything is Connected) by Kneazle (Hermione Granger as Lily and Petunia Evans’s sister. She winds up becoming the target of James Potter’s crush and befriending Barty Crouch Junior and Regulus Black before they can join Voldemort. A very memorable fic with a very un-memorable name.)
Good Author Idea Bins
Collections of oneshots (and sometimes more) that good authors wrote to get the ideas they didn’t have time for to leave them alone.
- Odd Ideas by Rorschach’s Blot
- Fragments and sequels         by dogbertcarroll
- What a Bunch of Nonjon by nonjon
- …? (I know there are others I’m forgetting.)
Dresden Files: Interesting Crossovers
- Not Following Harry
- Awaken Sleeper by Water Mage (Harry Potter wakes up in the body of his counterpart in the Dresden Files universe. Interesting for how well I remember it being executed, even if the concept is ordinary.)
- Deal with a Devil by by Silently Watches (Lash is given a chance to earn redemption by mentoring Harry Potter.)
- Of Citadels And Castles, Book One: Culture Shocks by C. Mage (Mass Effect crossover, Follows Machias Castle, not Harry Dresden.)
- …? (Were there other ones not following Harry Dresden that I’m forgetting?)
- Endless Pantheon: God’s Eye by todeswind (First in a Stargate: SG-1 crossover series where the Goa’uld are actual gods and, with typical Harry Dresden luck and willpower, Harry manages to accidentally usurp the mantle of the Goa’uld who tries to make him a host. The series does a good job of mimicking the Dresden Files feel.)
- Fate: Hard Knocks by Fell The Tempest (Fate/Unlimited Blade Works crossover that’s written as a Dresden Files fic where Fate elements start to impinge after Harry comes into possession of Avalon and he eventually summons Saber, resulting in some very satisfying character moments.)
- Was it Soul’s Light by Chengar Qordath, Harry Dresden: Agent of NERV by Yuffiek666, or both that I I’m remembering as meriting a place on this list? (Evangelion crossovers)
- Was Soul’s Wings by KnightEstoc (Sekirei crossover) good enough for this list and, if it was, how is the continuation by keithallen?
- The Dresden Fillies: Strange Friends by psychicscubadiver (Series of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic crossovers where Equestria exists within the greater Dresden Files setting, kept hidden from everything else the Nevernever connects to by enchantments woven by Princess Luna that had started to wear thin during her absence. The first volume is a bit formulaic, being mostly a rehash of the MLP pilot, but it touches off the series.)
- See also My Little Denarians by Chengar Qordath (Was it MLD or one of the sequels to TDF that I’m remembering as being most suited to this list?)
- The Senshi Files: Silver Warden (old version) by Irritus185 (Sailor Moon crossover where Harry Dresden adopted Makoto Kino and, when Sailor Moon canon comes knocking, dad’s aware and not willing to just step aside.)
- …? (Am I forgetting any Harry-centric once I wanted to share?)
- NGE: Nobody Dies by Gregg Landsman
- The Gift by Mercaba
- I vaguely remember an Oh, My Goddess! crossover with a female OC pilot who I believe was at least half divine. Was it any good?
Evangelion: Angels Other Than Kaworu Nagisa As Characters
- Too Human by Archdruid-Sephiroth
- …? (I know there were more of these, but it’s been a decade and I forget what they were.)
Evangelion: Decent Self-Inserts
To paraphrase George Carlin, “Hey! Time for a few
fart jokesself-inserts! Yes, where would fanfic be without a few self-inserts.”
Evangelion: Good Do-Over Fics
- Once More With Feeling by Crazy-88
- What was that fic where Rei was the one getting a do-over?
- Was Second Time Around one of these?
Evangelion: Unabashed Crackfics
- I Do by Innortal?
- Neon Genesis Evanjellydonut by Shizumaru
- Neon Sign Evangelion by A-kun
- The “Statue of Miao Nyan Mew” Addventure thread
Futaba-Kun Change Fics (All Of Them?)
- Golden Linings by Cloud-Dreamer
- Ranma Compo by Chriina (Wayback Archive)
- Final Approach Ranma by Trimatter
- The vault: FKC Fic by Weebee
- Misaki-Chan Change by JonaBee
Harry Potter: Assorted Unusually Special Concepts
- Birth of a Name by nonjon (A comedy oneshot about some of the other, funnier anagrams you can make from Tom Marvolo Riddle. Also has a French translation with adapted anagrams that I need to work my way through with a dictionary some day.)
- Pet Project by Caeria (A non-romantic story about Hermione and Snape)
- The Family Clock by Jan. McNeville (A story about a clockmaker OC which I found particularly interesting and memorable)
- The Lie I’ve Lived by jbern (The Marauder’s Map starts to show “Harry James Potter”… it wasn’t made to show middle names. Also has The Sorting Hat as a very memorable character.)
- Maybe also cross-reference my Pureblood Pretense review if this becomes a list post instead of individual reviews?
Harry Potter: Author/Harry Makes A Mockery Of The Triwizard Tournament
- Harry’s Loophole by ThinkingSpeck (Harry realizes that he only needs to make a token effort.)
- Harry Potter and the Champion’s Champion by DriftWood1965 (Link to my review of it.)
- Inspected by No. 13 by Clell65619 (Harry survives the tournament and brings the readers some entertainment by becoming a bureaucrat. Comedy through the amount of respect everyone pays to the bureaucracy with elements of The Santa Clause for his getting the job and some The Man Who Knew Too Little for interactions with the goblins.)
- One Wizard Too Many by KUCrow1997 (Can’t remember how good this is. That’s part of the reason this list is a TODO list rather than a recommendations list.)
- Triwizard Tales by Clell65619 (This is the one that starts with Harry striking a deal with the dragon to throw the challenge, and then has a feathered serpent interview the dragon once she’s back home, revealing in the process that, aside from the Quibbler, Xeno Lovegood owns a big network of more serious publications for non-human sapients. Said publications lead to Harry then being approached to do it again. This is also one of those fics which caricatures Draco Malfoy and Ron Weasley… though not as much as in Harry Potter and the Champion’s Champion though they do remind me of each other in that respect.)
- While it’s not a Triwizard Tournament Mockery fic, The Power of the Press by Bobmin356 would probably do well as a post-script mention since it’s got the same sort of humour.
- …? (I know there are more of these I’m forgetting)
Harry Potter: “Chasing Harry Around The World” Fics
- A Boon For Bill by canoncansodoff (That one where Snape apparates over a sewage treatment plant’s holding tank while trying to follow a tracking charm. This also had me literally LOLing until my throat hurt.)
- Escapologist Harry by Racke (The international chasing is more a side-effect of certain phases of this crackfic, but it should at least be a runner-up.)
- Harry Potter and the Power of Paranoia by arekay (Harry mistakes Mundungus Fletcher for a Death Eater and, with Dobby’s help, runs off to hide in the muggle world. The chase wanes about a third of the way in after Harry uses the Fidelius on his status as the boy-who-lived, but it still counts feel-wise once the story switches to a “for want of a nail” comedy… note that I LOLed out loud at the punchline to Sirius’s prank-trap on the prophecy.)
- Make A Wish by Rorchach’s Blot (To me, this seems to be the most famous of the genre. Also mention the spin-offs.)
- Mastermind Hunting by Louis IX (Link to my review as a noteworthy mention at the bottom of the list.)
- Where in the World is Harry Potter by nonjon (Plus two completed sequels)
- …? (I know there are more of these that I’m forgetting. It’s been so long.)
- …consider mentioning “Dear Order” because of their similar “over the top cheek/prank” feel
Harry Potter: Hermione Granger as a Parselmouth
- The Parselmouth of Gryffindor by Achille Talon (Delightfully over the top)
- Also mention Parselbrat by Leikiz (which inspired it) even though it’s a female Harry Potter that’s embraces being a parselmouth early on.
- Hermione Granger and the Serpent’s Renaissance by epsi10n (Haven’t read it yet, so this whole category is more of a tentative thing, but it was listed as an inspiration for The Parselmouth of Gryffindor. The concept is that Salazar Slytherin ensured he’d keep his memories when he reincarnated… and it bodes well for the author’s skill that chapter 1 draws a parallel between Salazar Slytherin and what happened to Shakespeare’s Hermione.)
Harry Potter: Stories Where Norbert Becomes A Character
- Harry Is A Dragon, And That’s Okay by Saphroneth (Nora, and she’s adorable. Also, I love how much ongoing creativity has gone into this story beyond just the concept. For example, Ron, who gets bitten by the space bug and dedicates himself to becoming the first wizard astronaut.)
- Also mention chapter 1 of Enter the Dragon by Doghead Thirteen. The “Shadowrun is dark, so let’s darken this setting too” doesn’t set in until chapter 2, and chapter 1 has all the same delightful “young Harry as a dragon” stuff as Harry Is A Dragon, And That’s Okay.
- Harry Potter and the Hermetic Arts by HaikenEdge (Liv. She shows up near the end, but the sequel is also complete and she’s a lovely character too. Caution: Takes a less innocent look at the world, with tropes like “Lockhart turns out to be a rapist” in the sequel.)
- On The Implications of Parallel Worlds by computerneek (Not really developed yet and I’m not sure it will be, but I wanted it on file so I remembered which one it was.)
- Chapters 4 and 5 of Triwizard Tales by Clell65619 have scenes focusing on some adorable young dragons who imprinted on Harry as their uncle.
- …maybe as part of a more general list for stories with interesting non-human characters with a similar feel, like The Parselmouth of Gryffindor, where it turns out pretty much everything including Rita’s Quick Quotes Quill is sapient. (Was that the same one where the boggart copies a human too well and becomes sapient and a student?)
Harry Potter: Trolling Umbridge
- Rebellion by TatraMegami (I started my only read-through of this before it was finished, and it finished seven years ago. Take my sense that it’s good enough to fit here with a grain of salt.)
- The Power of the Press by Bobmin356
- Trolling the Toad by Akela Victoire
- I forget. Was Harry and Luna Against the High Inquisitor by Arpad Hrunta a viable candidate for this list?
- While not Umbridge, Dear Order should probably be mentioned in passing at the end since I tend to think of it as being the same sort of crazy fun when I remember the Umbridge ones.
- …? (I know there are some of these I’m forgetting.)
Harry Potter: “Works For Me”
This category requires a little explanation because I’m still trying to pin it down myself. It’s more about a shared feel that seems to emerge when you conbine a certain kind of not-quite-genre-savviness with the culture of pen-and-paper RPG gaming. The placeholder title is a reference to that.
So far, the stories which satisfy it involve a character whose magical abilities operate around pen-and-paper RPG rules, because there are quite a few “Harry develops his own magic system” stories which lack that feeling. (eg. “pre-Hogwarts Harry teaches himself Naruto-style jutsu” stories, or stories like Prodigal Delinquent.)
- Harry Potter and the Natural 20 by Sir Poley (The Death Eaters accidentally summon a character from a world that operates on D&D rules… he continues to function by those rules and he’s quite a munchkin.)
- Harry Potter and the Hermetic Arts by HaikenEdge (Caution: Takes a less innocent look at the world, with tropes like “Lockhart turns out to be a rapist in the sequel”.)
- …? (I think I remember encountering at least one more that qualifies.)
Mass Effect: Do-Over Stories Featuring Jack Harper
- Living an Indoctrinated Dream by Aberron (Harper is the main character)
- Stones Thrown Before the Tide by MizDirected (Harper is one of several)
Mass Effect: Fics Where First Contact Is A Satisfyingly Large Focus
- Contact by KE12 (Very first contact oriented.)
- Mass Effect: The Terran Gambit by informedterran
- Transcendant Humanity by Solaris242 (This is the one where the Geth are overwhelmed by the experience of eating toast after borrowing a “home body”)
- …? (Need to go back through my other notes and identify which ones are also satisfying as “contact fics”, both ones I’ve already listed and ones that aren’t anywhere on this list)
Mass Effect: Good Self-Inserts with Engaging Supporting Casts
NOTE: I’m not sure if I want this to be a general “good self-inserts with novel characters” list or a “two self-inserts that seem to have evolved convergently” list with an “also mention this…”.
- Beacon’s Effect (and sequels) by Tusken1602
- Hero, I am Not (and sequels) by Soleneus
- Also mention The Pinnacle of Evolution by swrWriter
Mass Effect: “Humanity Stays in the Shadows” fics
- A Dark Dawn by Ave Imperium (The contact war goes so badly that the Turian commander throws an asteroid at Earth. The council covers it up, but humanity survives and plots revenge.)
- Also mention Children of Nemesis by Solaris242. It’s not a “Humanity Stays in the Shadows” fic as I remember, but it has the “trashed homeword” scenario in common. (A much altered humanity having found a way to survive on an Earth now orbiting a black hole.)
- Was Humanity’s Rebirth by TallYapflip another one of these?
- Psi Effect by Cap’n Chryssalid (X-COM crossover where humanity founds Eclipse as a front so they can infiltrate Citadel space as fake Asari. Great story though the last arc before it went dormant is too unsatisfyingly different from what drew me in.)
- Red Cobra by Billybobjoe47s (Halo crossover)
- Stargates and Relays by stevebond1990 (While it doesn’t go very far into its story arc, being only 18,669 words long, I felt I should mention this fic purely based on how rare “Humanity stays in the shadows” crossovers are.)
- The Terran Intervention by AmeliusTheAlteran (Cross-universal SG-1 explorers stumble upon the battle of Shanxi and decide to stealthily help.)
Mass-Effect: Human-Quarian First Contacts
- Envirosuits and Doobies by SympathyForTheQuarians (The Quarians make contact with humans in 1968)
- Mass Effect: The First War by ProfFartBurger (Also a “Mars had no eezo and humans developed their own kind of FTL” story.)
- …? (I know I’ve read more of these… including some I think I’ve reviewed already for other categories which should go on the list.)
- …or maybe make this list “non-Turian first contacts”, so I can also include the Geth ones?
Mass Effect: Interesting Crossover Concepts
- A Technological Singularity by 6thfloormadness (Alternative origin story for The Borg)
- Biomass Effect by Beastrider9 (Prototype crossover where Blacklist consumes all life on Earth and then adapts to the point where it reconstitutes humanity before contact is made.)
- Reaper’s Origin by prometheus55 (that SG-1 crossover where the Furlings built the Reapers and then fled interdimensionally)
- The Matrix Effect by unity9 (“The Matrix” crossover where humanity and machines are in a symbiotic relationship by the time Mass Effect canon rolls around.)
- Was there a Fallout crossover worth putting on this list?
- …? (TODO: Audit the list of what I’ve read to make sure I’m not forgetting anything.)
Mass Effect: Non-Standard FTL Technology
- Alcubierre by Whoa Heavy (Very distinctive feel but appears to have been taken down. Need to try to contact author and convince to allow me to put my archived copy on the VFFA.)
- Incompatible System by mp3.1415player (Well written and a surprise Humanx Commonwealth crossover.)
- I think this applies to every single X-COM crossover I want to list
- …? (I think there might have been one or two more.)
Mass Effect: X-COM Crossovers
OK, this list is a bit of a different beast because it’s not so much about the best fics, as it is about the ones I found most satisfying. Sure, Psi Effect is good, but the others are fairly simplistic Humanity, F*** Yeah stories, so there’s a dearth of stories that I’d consider properly “literary”. Also, it’s been a while since I read some of these, and I expect not all of them will make the cut.
- A Battle of Wills by Insinr8 (The one where humanity has become a multi-species alliance, having incorporated the Muton Elites (the purest form of the original species) and the Cyberdisks (essentially naturally evolved AI), developed their own system of wormhole gates out of paranoia about the mass relays, and relocated the Charon relay into dark space. It’s also the one where Chryssalids were engineered from Rachni.)
- Ascension of Earth’s Guardians by Ciroth
- Enemy Returned by Palladius (The one where humanity’s R&D find ways to synthesize new forms of eezo and it turns out that Ethereals are frail because Vrolik’s Syndrome and psionic potential are related in the same was as sickle-cell anemia and malaria resistance.)
- Psi Effect by Cap’n Chryssalid (Fun and well-written story where X-COM infiltrates Citadel space by founding Eclipse)
- The Human War by Generatedname (Noteworthy in being an AU Mass Effect fic that does not start out with a timeline. Instead, it waits until after a prologue where humanity mistakes a Turian patrol fleet for a new Ethereal slave species. Still, probably a runner-up at best for how much time it spends on the Shanxi battles relative to its total length. This is the one where X-COM’s alternative FTL solution is called an elerium sling. Rewrite of When Civilizations Meet and I might be remembering that instead.)
- XCOM: Second Contact by Agayek (This is the one where, after recovering their kidnapped citizens, the humans release a bunch of sterile chryssalids on the world the batarians took them to.)
- …? (Which is the one I remember where the Raloi joined the humans? Is it already on this list or something I need to track down?)
My Little Pony: Stories About Historical Figures
- Beethoven’s Tenth by CrackedInkWell (A music appreciation course in the form of a fanfic.)
- The Best of All Possible Worlds by McPoodle (Aside from some of the creative elements in it, when don’t you need a fanfic where Voltaire is the main character?)
Naruto: Fun With Kage Bunshin
- A Drop of Poison by Angel of Snapdragons (Link to my review.)
- Glaring Problems by dogbertcarroll (Naruto makes a whole bunch of shadow clones to perch on rooftops and glare at the civilians like they glared down at him. dogbertcarroll-style comedy then develops from there… with plenty of eye-searingly orange squirrels.)
- …? (I know there are more of these I’m forgetting. It’s been too many years.)
Naruto: Good “Missing Hokage Challenge” Fics
For those not familiar with it, The Missing Hokage Challenge is something that was put up by Perfect Lionheart, encouraging authors to write fics based on a particular subversion of a bad fanfiction cliché that was doing the rounds at the time.
(Politicking in Konoha overruling the Tsunade and getting Naruto kicked out of Konoha. The challenge fics involve Tsunade seeming to go along with it, but then playing the rules, swiping or requisitioning a lot of stuff, appointing Jiraiya as the new hokage, and joining Naruto on the road along with Shizune and Hinata as one big ninja-style “f*** you” to them.)
- The Missing Hokage by Jonque (This one has Naruto’s Henge being revealed to be a unique transformation jutsu and also has him accidentally learning the shunshin “wrong” so it looks more like has father’s signature technique. This is also the one where Naruto’s female clone starts to develop her own distinct personality and that subplot gets a significant amount of screen time. Unfortunately, chapters 23 through 26 feel like they’re losing their way, significantly changing the focus, focusing too much on “isn’t that cool” ideas, and ignoring an enticing element that was just recently introduced for far too long.)
- I think there was another “Naruko clone” one. I vaguely remember a progression involving the prolonged use of Oiroke no Jutsu on Kage Bunshin that unfolded differently from Jonque’s. (More in the vein of it slowly dawning on Naruto that something is up specifically with that combination… and I think it involved a distinct personality starting to develop across multiple summonings and dispellings.)
- …? (I need to check which of the other ones (list incomplete) I remember named “The Missing Hokage” deserve to be promoted (it looks like I’ve read 3screws’s, RaiderXV’s, and maverick9871’s) and to re-identify the ones I read which aren’t named “The Missing Hokage”, such as Escape From The Hokage’s Hat.)
Naruto: More Crackfics
- The Consequences of Drunken Experiments by Lucillia
- Chickenzilla by Lucillia (A spin-off of The Consequences of Drunken Experiments chapter where Orochimaru gets hopped up on cough syrup and makes a giant fire-breathing chicken… definitely worth it. One of the rare stories that makes me truly LOL.)
- The many puppets of Naruto by Kagaseo
Naruto: Stories Centred Around Gender-Bending
- Between Deception and Truth by Lord Archive (Naruto and Hinata go into hiding from Akatsuki in gender-swapped forms. They come back a couple with a new baby.)
- Ganbatte ne, Oirokechan by yasuhei (Naruto takes Jiraiya’s “if you want me to train you, you have to stay in that form” comment seriously.)
- Spying no Jutsu by daniel-gudman (For lack of a better option, Naruto is given an infiltration mission where he has to stay in his Sexy/Oiroke no Justu form the whole time.)
- Switched! by Minionette (Naruto and Sakura get body-swapped and Orochimaru laughs himself to death. Also contains a funny recurring-joke cameo from The Luggage.)
- The Male Kunoichi by Rickysio (Another “for lack of a better option, Naruto has to infiltrate in female form” fic)
- …? (I know there are more of these I’m forgetting. It’s been too many years.)
Ranma ½ (Assorted Good Fics)
- Bliss by Lara L. Bartram and Mike W. Loader (That one with the elements from The Colour Out Of Space)
- Comes The Cold Dragon by Don Lee Granberry
- Girl Days by Kenko (and maybe do a compare and contrast with Girl’s School by Miko2?)
- Not a Clue by Ozzallos (Sadly, only part 1 of a two-part fic, but I remember it implementing a novel concept very well.)
- The Dark Lords of Nerima by claymade (Sailor Moon crossover where Ranma and Ryoga accidentally convince both sides that they’re a second independent faction of bad guys.)
- Re-read a bunch of Ozzallos’s fics I haven’t already reviewed like A Kunoichi in Konoha (R½, Naruto), A Time Apart (R½, multi), Half a Legacy (R½, SM, SG-1), Heir to the Empire (R½, SM), Leaf (R½, Naruto), and Tales of the FoxCat (R½, Naruto) and decide which ones to promote.
- Was Aftermath: A Story of Blended Clichés’ by Trimatter the fukufic I remember reading to the end, then coming back to years later (but still years ago) and saying “Oh God, I read this to the end?” to? If so, I might want to note it down just to have a record of what keeps sticking in my memory. (Similar reason to Mastermind Hunting or Trial By Tenderness or the like. Bad fic with memorably creative ideas.)
Slayers: Memorable Fics I Should Review
- Kitsune Lina (series) by Thrythlind (I don’t remember how well it’s written but I remember this being the second-most distinctive Slayers fic I ever read after Demiurge. My old review is from 2005, so it’s probably best for me to re-review it.)
- Mixed Doubles by Irony-chan (That one where Lina botches repairing the Shadow Reflector and she and Gourry wind up with ender-swapped clones. I also remember there being a sequel… I think it was called “Me, Myself, and My Reflection”. Did Irony-chan take that down? If so, can I convince her to repost it or allow me to share the copy I archived while reading it on the Vanished FanFic Archive? I remember it not being short even if it was unfinished, and I remember enjoying it.)
- Slayers Demiurge by Stefan “Twoflower” Gagne (I remember this being the most original and impressive concept that I’ve ever seen in a Slayers fic. My old review is from 2005, so it’s probably best for me to re-review it.)
- Slayers Trilogy by Stefan “Twoflower” Gagne
- …? (It’s been so long since I read Slayers fanfics. I need to go check what else I’m forgetting that I might want to introduce a new cadre of readers to.)
Stargate: Interesting Crossover Concepts
- Jack? by Teri (Angus MacGyver and Jack O’Neill are two halves of the double life the same person is living… and the secret won’t hold forever.)
- Mistaken Identity by Evenmoor (Highlander crossover. Methos recognizes Daniel Jackson as someone he saw 5000 years ago. Daniel mistakes him for a Goa’uld.)
- The Dragon King’s Temple by Kryal (Avatar: The Last Airbender)
- The Husband of Sha’uri by Jedi Buttercup (The Mummy crossover where Daniel Jackson is the mummy who wakes up)
Stargate: Interesting Goa’uld Characters
- Andromeda Unchained by Speaker-to-Customers (A “What if…?” that has Hathor becoming Tok’ra, Complete)
- Empress in the shadows (original and reworked)
- Warrior Peoples by drakensis
- …? (Wasn’t there one more somewhere?)
Star Wars (Assorted Stories)
- A Village Hidden in Hope by Marz1 (Naruto botches his first attempt to summon Gamabunta and gets found on Tattoine by a young Anakin Skywalker.)
- Truths Revealed Lies Exposed by VFSNAKE (Leia knew that Darth Vader was her father all along and, when she’s captured in A New Hope, she sets events in motion that result in him conspiring against Palpatine.)
- I’ve read so few Star Wars fics that I should just go back through the list to see if there’s anything else I’m forgetting that’s worth promoting. (eg. I don’t remember reading Legacy of the Red Sun, but that doesn’t automatically mean it’s not enjoyable to read.)