So there I was, waiting for some nVidia drivers to compile so I could get back into X11, flipping through images in fbi, when I realized I was sick and tired of fragile, irritating, one-liners to pipe lists of images into it.
Enter gqfbi. A little, one-hour creation of mine which makes using fbi so much more comfortable.
GQfbi is a small, Python-based wrapper script for the fbi framebuffer image viewer which will make it just Do What I Mean™.
- Automatically excluding files fbi won’t recognize to prevent it from pausing for a second or two to force you to read the “couldn’t load this image” message.
- Support for taking any combination of paths to images, directories, and GQview/Geeqie collections.
- Calls fbi with readahead and auto-scaling enabled. (I’ll make them optional when I get around to actually making optparse do something useful)
- Support for asking fbi to slideshow, shuffle, and loop.
- Support for taking Zip/RAR/CBZ/CBR archives as input for framebuffer manga-reading.
- Its own git repository rather than lurking in my roaming profile’s
If you like it, please let me know. I don’t use it often, so you’ll probably be single-handedly responsible for getting a feature implemented.