A few days ago, I noticed that the deviantART people had made some changes which had broken the Greasemonkey script I was using to remove the ad boxes (the ads were still blocked by a different layer of protection).
As such, I wrote a new one and decided to one-up the previous scripts while I was at it. This one blocks ALL of the ads I could find.
Oh, as a sidenote to any geeks who read this, take a look at the code if you want to know how to match the parent/grandparent objects of three different ads using only one XPath expression.
Update 2006-02-20: I noticed that the presence of an adbox in an article resulted in the script erasing the entire article. That problem has now been fixed and the script will now also remove adboxes in articles.
Update 2006-03-08: For the last week or so, I’ve been locked out of my UserScripts.org account because I forgot which spamgourmet.com alias I used to sign up and, since no confirmation e-mail was sent, the alias was never added to the list of active aliases. I will continue to look for a way to contact the userscripts.org guys to ask for a confirmation e-mail so I know what my login name is, but it may take a while.
Update 2010-02-18: Some time in the last year or two, I regained access to my UserScripts.org account, but I’ve lost interest in maintaining this script in favor of more original and useful projects. My advice is to use AdBlock Plus but, if you really need something more specialized, let me know and I’ll see if I can find time to bring this back into working order.
This work, unless otherwise expressly stated, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Unported License.